When I look at the forecast for the week and see nothing but clouds and rain for the next seven days, it gets me thinking about food… warm, yummy, comfort food.
For the most part I pretty much like all comfort food, but I especially love chili. So, when a good friend shared this recipe with me a couple of years ago, I was SO excited because it’s honestly the best I’ve had.
Each person makes it a little different, but here is what I use:
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of corn
- 2 cans of chili beans
- 2 cans of black beans
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 packet of ranch seasoning
- 1 lb of ground turkey (I’ve even made it with a rotisserie chicken which is also delicious)
I prefer to use all organic ingredients, because the taste is incredible, and I don’t feel like crud for days to follow.
This is the ranch seasoning that I use and it’s killer. I used to use a packet of Hidden Valley ranch mix which tastes really good too, but this mix just takes it to a whole nutha level of goodness.
Here’s how I do it:
- Pour all of the cans into a large pot or crock-pot. I prefer to drain the black beans and corn before adding them in – it makes it less soupy
- Add in the taco and ranch seasoning
- Stir it all together
- Cook the ground turkey until fully cooked then add it to the crock pot ( I’m a vegetarian, so I don’t actually add the turkey to mine. I cook it when the chili is close to being served and just let whoever wants the turkey to add it to their own bowl. But if you and everyone you are serving it to does eat meat, I’d add it to the crockpot earlier)
- Stir it all together and let it cook for at least a couple of hours. I let it cook for 4-6 hours, but it’s really just a preference/depends on how long you can wait to eat it. I don’t normally make it past four hours.
You can serve this chili with cornbread, tortilla chips, avocado garnish, and all of the cheese/sour cream fixins that your heart desires (mine desires ALL of it). You really can’t go wrong here – unless you don’t eat it.
My chili is in my crock-pot now waiting for me, I’m just waiting for Ransom to wake up so that we can go grub!
Enjoy friends! Happy Sunday and happy eating!